Bailey & Company Established 1830 Jewellers & Silver Smiths Philadelphia

The Bailey & Co began its existence as the Bailey & Kitchen Jewelry Company in 1830. Founded by Joseph Trowbridge Bailey and Andrew B. Kitchen, the firm was located at 136 Chestnut Street in Philadelphia.

Joseph Bailey was an accomplished silversmith and jeweler, and along with his partner Andrew Kitchen, the firm was a renowned business which had earned strong loyalty by its customers.

Street view of Bailey & Kitchen, established in 1830

Street view of Bailey & Kitchen, established in 1830

In 1846 the two partners decided to dissolve their partnership. However, the firm experienced a rebirth when Joseph’s brother Eli formed a new partnership with Jeremiah Robbins and James Gallagher. With the birth of the new partnership, the business continued its operations at the same Chestnut Street address.

Silvermark

Hallmark

Operating under the moniker Bailey & Co., the firm continued at its same location for the next 13 years.

In 1851 Joseph Trowbridge Bailey Jr joined the firm as an apprentice. Just a mere three years later he rose to become president of the company. Two years thereafter he became a partner.

In 1866 Eli retired, and twelve years later the firm was reorganized once again. Renamed Bailey, Banks & Biddle, the firm remained a staple Philadelphia firm until 1961, when it was acquired by the Zales Jewelry Company.

Stereoscope Card - Bailey & Co Jewelry Store, 918 Chestnut St., Philad'a.

Stereoscope Card – Bailey & Co Jewelry Store, 918 Chestnut St., Philad’a.

During the 19th century the firm reigned as Philadelphia’s most successful jewelry company.  It specialized in precious gems, silversmithing, medals, ribbons, and awards, in addition to traditional jewelry manufacture. Among the awards and medals it manufactured were the first 40,000 Purple Hearts, class rings for the Annapolis and West Point naval academies, and the Congressional Medal of Honor.

The firm itself employed a large contingent of craftsman and artisans, including engravers, die cutters, and illuminators. The firm is credited with having designed the present-day Great Seal of the United States, as well as producing the first two Distinguished Flying Crosses made for Admiral Richard Byrd and Charles Lindbergh.

Great Seal of the United States, by Bailey, Banks & Biddle

Great Seal of the United States, by Bailey, Banks & Biddle

After being acquired and owned by Zales in the 1960s, the firm experienced multiple reorganizations and incarnations. By the early 21st century the firm existed merely in name alone, being operated as Zales’ upscale jewelry store brand.

In November 2007 the Zales Corporation sold all of its BB&B properties to the Finlay Fine Jewelry Corporation for $200 million. Less than 2 years later, all of Finlay properties were auctioned off, including Bailey, Banks & Biddle.

Upon its purchase, the firm was shuttered. After 177 years, the company and its brand ceased to exist.

Numismatic Specimens

Russell Rulau lists 2 known Bailey & Company counter-stamped tokens, as well as 8 varieties of engraved emissions. They are listed in the following table:

Bailey & Company Table of Token Varieties

Below is a Miller PA-29 Bailey & Company token.  Measuring 30mm in diameter, the specimen is gilt brass and possesses a reeded edge.

Miller Pa-29 Bailey & Co Philadelphia

In addition to tokens, in 1862 the firm also issued encased postage stamps.

Aaron Packard [End Mark]

Notes and Sources

  1. ‘The Bailey, Banks and Biddle Company,’ Hagley Museum & Library, 2010
  2. Julio Rae’s Philadelphia Pictorial Directory and Panoramic Advertiser, 1851
  3. Philadelphia and Its Manufacturers, Edwin T. Freedly, 1867
  4. Standard Catalog of United States Tokens 1700-1900 Fourth Edition, Russell Rulau, Krause Publications, ©2004
  5. The Library Company of Philadelphia Digital Collections
  6. The Library of Congress Digital Archives

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

The author has over 30 years experience in North American numismatics. He is the author of numerous articles about exonumia, including those about tokens, scrip, and the public who used them. He is a member of the ANA, VNA, ACC, C4, CWTS, TAMS, MD-TAMS, AVA, NSCA, and NumisSociety.

advert

No comments yet.

Leave a Reply

The W.W. Wilbur Auctioneer Tokens, Charleston SC

WWWilburHeadlinePic2

William W. Wilbur is infamous for having been an auctioneer who owned and operated a mercantile during the pre-Civil War […]

The Fenian Brotherhood Token of 1866

FenianBrotherhood-Headline-Pic

Shortly before the American Civil War, an Irish nationalist militia was formed in the United States. Founded by Irish immigrants […]

The Tyson’s Telegraph Line & Its Tokens

TysonTelegraphHeadlinePic

The Tyson & Company omnibus service operated in New York City in the mid-18th century. The company operated several routes, […]

New York’s Castle Garden Concert Hall & Token

CastleGarden-FeaturedImage

Situated at the southernmost tip of Manhattan, Fort Clinton was erected as defensive countermeasure to British forces as the threat […]

Henry Miller & His Winter Garden Tokens

MillersWinterGarden-FeatureImage-Raw

Born in Lobenstein Germany on April 2, 1820, Henry Miller emigrated to the United States on July 1st 1845.  Upon […]